Slippery Elm Benefits
Slippery Elm (Ulmus fulva) is really one of nature’s great healers of the body. It has being used in North America for centuries but I only discovered it about a year ago. A lot of people are not aware of this plant but it’s a tree native to North America with many health benefits. The leaves are long and green and the bark has many beneficial health benefits as well.
I used to suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) being a common symptom of many fibromyalgia sufferers. I was always in a lot of pain, I had diarrhea everyday, I was loosing weight and there was often blood in my stools.
Back then, while I was reading a lot of books and doing research about the power of herbs (which are truly a gift from god), I found a lot of articles about this wonderful tree, and its health benefits for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and many other health conditions, so I decided to try it.
If you have read my other blog posts you probably know that I’m a big fan of having a powerful smoothie every morning for breakfast, which is truly (my favourite thing in the world). So a while back I decided to start putting 2 tea spoon of Slippery Elm Bark powder in my morning smoothies, and the taste is actually not that bad at all.
After about two weeks of taking the powder, my diarrhea started to diminish, and I had no more blood in my stools, which was a big improvement for me because I was suffering from IBS for many years. I also know someone who was suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and was able to manage his diarrhea and feel alot better because of the Slippery Elm Bark.
There is very little scientific research regarding Slippery Elm, but it’s often recommended to people with various health conditions (especially the bark). Slippery Elm Bark is also said to be safe to take and even pets can benefit from this wonderful tree.
Top Slippery Elm Benefits
- Good for the GI Track – Slippery Elm help soothes the mucosa of the GI track. It’s very powerful for any stomach or intestines imbalance. it’s a great herb for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Hemorrhoids, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Good for the Urinary Track – This plant help strengthens and clean the urinary track.
- Good for Throat Issues – Slippery Elm help soothes sore and inflamed throat. It’s an expectorant so it helps get rid of the mucus from the throat and the respiratory tract. It’s also good for cough.
- Good for Skin Conditions – This plant is said to be very good for wounds, burns, psoriasis and other skin condition.
- Pulls toxicity out of tissues – Slippery Elm Bark is good for the lymphatic system and help the body detoxify by getting rid of the mucus that have accumulated. It’s said to be an expectorant, astringent, demulcent and emollient.
Here are Some of My Favourite Ways I Like to Take Slippery Elm Bark
- I like to put 2 tea spoon of Slippery Elm Bark powder in my morning smoothie.
- Sometimes I just drink it by itself mixed with water (2 tea spoon).
- If I have any throat issue I like to drink it in a tea. You can buy Organic Slippery Elm tea or you can make your own with the powder as well.
Even tho I don’t suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) anymore, I still continue to take Slippery Elm Bark everyday because of it’s many health benefits. It’s also one of my favourite superfoods. If you would like to learn more information about my favourite superfoods and many more, don’t forget to check my blog posts every week. Take care 🙂